New Year Yoga & Mindfulness Retreat, Marrakech, Morocco
Our retreat in short
Want to book?
- Date: December 30, 2019 - January 3, 2020
- Teacher: Lucia Cockcroft
Want to book?
Unless you have booked to stay extra nights, arrivals by 3pm on December 30, 2019 is recommended.
The retreat will officially start on this evening, with our first evening yoga class.
However, there is considerable flexibility in the arrival times.
We recommend leaving after 11am on January 3, 2020.
Option to stay extra nights at The Riad - arranged directly with the venue.
There are a wide range of airlines that fly to Marrkech ( RAK ) airport. We recommend BA, EasyJet and RyanAir. We recommend using a consolidator such as http://www.skyscanner.net/ to obtain the best priced flight.
Want to book?
Why this retreat?
In a nutshell
Our intention is to offer a nurturing, small group environment and a thoughtful programme that balances yoga and mindfulness practice sessions with a soul-soothing offering of exceptional food (including, of course, afternoon tea!), warm service and beautiful surroundings. There's is little or no road noise, and the Riad's large roof terrace and courtyard are surrounded by palms and olive trees, flowers and birdsong.
We have spent the last ten or so New Years in Marrakech, drawn back again and again by the clear skies, winter sunshine and evocative atmosphere. Whilst we unfortunately cannot guarantee the weather, we are usually blessed with clear skies, warm midday sunshine and temperatures reaching 20 degrees celcius.
Dusk brings the return of the call to prayer, and the distant sounds of celebration from the city's famous main square. Evening also brings a parade of stars, a steep drop in temperature, and the lighting of thousands of fires all over the city: a treat for the senses.
We will see in the New Year with a lovingly prepared and presented gala dinner, washed down (mindfully!) with a glass of bubbly wine!
Our host venue
Completely restored by a French couple in 2011, it's surrounded on three sides by gardens, with the roof terrace offering a panoramic view of lush vegetation – highly unusual (perhaps unique) in the centre of Marrakech's busy medina.
All five beautifully and individually designed bedrooms are en-suite (showers only) and boast Egyptian cotton linen and distinctly Moroccan touches: Berber rugs, handcrafted furniture and doorways. There is one first-floor suite, available to guests at a supplement.
Daily yoga and mindfulness for everyone
The retreat may appeal to newcomers to either practice, to those interested in practising yoga and mindfulness together, or for those wishing to deepen an established practice.
Please note: in line with our ethos to ensure accessibility, different postural options will always be given, and there is absolutely no need to be able to sit on the floor in a perfect crossed legged position! Please also note: the movement practices will be taught as meditation, and will not be suitable for those looking for a dynamic, strong practice. (Please see our New Year Yoga and Walking retreat if you are seeking a more active break).
There will be a class on the first evening of the retreat, and a class on the final morning. In between, there will be two 90-minute classes a day. Yoga mats and blankets are provided.
Room 1 - Altar room.
Room 2 - Toliman Room
The rooms balances comfort and style. Located on the first floor, and overlooks the central courtyard.
Room 3 - Elnath Room
The rooms balances comfort and style. Located on the first floor, with its own private staircase it comes complete with a small veranda which overlooks the central courtyard.
Room 4 - Hamal Room
The rooms balances comfort and style. Located on the ground floor, it overlooks the central courtyard.
Lucia is passionate that yoga and mindfulness, if taught in a certain way, are suitable for everyone, and have enormous positive potential to calm and transform body, mind and perspective.
First floor suite - with double bed:
Double occupancy: £899 per person
Room 1, Room 2 and Room 3:
Single occupancy: £1049 per person
Double occupancy: £799 per person
Twin occupancy: £799 per person
Room 4 (ground floor):
Single occupancy: £899 per person
Double occupancy: £749 per person
This retreat may be for you if you are:
- Looking to go away on retreat, perhaps for the first time, but would prefer a relaxed setting, where there are no very early starts, plenty of free time and where the food is balanced and plentiful!
- Seeking to take time out for your own wellbeing, in a holistic, nurturing environment
- Anyone new to mindfulness or meditation looking for a boutique taster weekend, in a special setting
- Seeking to practice yoga and mindfulness together
- Are interested in either practice but are new to both, or either
- Looking for a different way to spend New Year
- Boutique en-suite accommodation
- Meals: pre-practice fruit/tea, substantial brunch, afternoon tea, three-course evening meal
- Special meal on New Year's Eve
- All mindfulness and yoga classes
What's not included?
- Flights and airport transfers (approx 20 euros one way)
- Travel insurance
- Any massages or other treatments booked
- Any wine or alcohol
* Please see details above in the 'getting there' section.
A typical day
On this trip, your days will look something like this:
- 8.30am-9.00am: coffee, tea, fruit
- 9.00am-10.30am: yoga and mindfulness practice
- 10:45pm: generous home cooked brunch
- 4.00pm:Afternoon tea
- 5:00pm-6:30pm:yoga and mindfulness practice
- 7.00pm: Three-course evening dinner
All meals are vegetarian by default. Please be aware that it may not be possible to cater for special diets on this retreat - please contact us.